Some tips for filing a hit-and-run claim

After a car accident, both drivers are expected to stop and exchange insurance information. Most drivers are considerate enough to provide their information, or at least leave a note, at the scene of the accident. This is not true of everyone, though. What happens if someone hits your vehicle and drives away? This is called a hit-and-run, and it is illegal. 

If you are the victim of a hit-and-run, you no doubt have a lot on your mind. Filing an insurance claim while dealing with the fallout of an accident can be daunting. If you are filing a hit-and-run claim with your insurer, here are a few tips to help you along the way.

  • Don’t attempt to follow the driver who hit you. Instead of hopping into your dinged-up car and chasing them down, contact the police. Law enforcement is much better equipped to locate the perpetrator than you are. Besides, remaining at the scene is crucial to preserve potential evidence about the accident.


  • There are two types of insurance that cover hit-and-run accidents. Uninsured motorist bodily injury insurance can cover your medical expenses if you were injured in the accident. Uninsured motorist property damage insurance can cover repair to your vehicle. If your state does not offer either of these, hit-and-runs can sometimes be covered by personal injury or collision coverage.


  • If you were able to identify the driver who hit your car, you can file a claim with his or her insurance company. Even if you could not identify the driver, you can still file a claim with your own company. Some states even waive your deductible in the event of a hit-and-run.


  • A hit-and-run can still raise your insurance rates, even if you were not at fault. This may be incredibly frustrating—after all, you were not the at-fault party. If your insurance rates do increase, you may wish to contact an attorney specializing in hit-and-run accidents who can help you navigate the legal process.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Steven H. Dorne

Attorney Steven H. Dorne

Attorney Steven H. Dorne is an accomplished lawyer who practices in state and federal courts in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. He brings more than 30 years of experience and a long record of success to each case. His law practice is distinguished by careful preparation and thorough analysis of each case...

Learn More
  • Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
  • ABA
  • Trial Lawyers Association Of Metropolitan Washington D.C | Working For Justice
  • Maryland Association For Justice
  • American Association For Justice
  • MSBA

Call Or Email For A Free Consultation

If you have suffered a personal injury in a car crash or other accident, need help with another type of dispute, we are prepared to help. Contact our lawyer online or call 877-234-4179 to schedule an initial consultation. There is no cost or obligation to contact us. Se habla español. For your convenience, we have offices in Washington D.C., Rockville, Greenbelt and Fairfax.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Rockville Office
200-A Monroe St.
Suite 100
Rockville, MD 20850

Toll Free: 877-234-4179
Phone: 301-637-8078
Fax: 301-251-0730
Map & Directions

Rockville Office

Washington D.C. Office
1150 Seventeenth St. NW
Suite 305
Washington, D.C. 20036

Toll Free: 877-234-4179
Phone: 301-637-8078
Fax: 301-251-0730
Map & Directions

Washington Office

Capital Office Park
6305 Ivy Lane
Suite 408
Greenbelt, MD 20770

Toll Free: 877-234-4179
Phone: 301-637-8078
Fax: 301-251-0730
Map & Directions

Greenbelt Office

Fairfax Office
10521 Judicial Dr.
Suite 303
Fairfax, VA 22030

Toll Free: 877-234-4179
Phone: 703-722-6446
Fax: 301-251-0730
Map & Directions

Fairfax Office
  • Toll Free 877-234-4179
  • Maryland/D.C. 301-637-8078
  • Virginia 703-722-6446
  • Fax 301-251-0730
Back To Top